Date: 14 June 2018
The International Commission to Support Palestinians’ Rights (ICSPR) calls for an investigation into the aggression by security forces and police on the peaceful demonstrators in the city of Ramallah.
The International Commission to Support Palestinians’ Rights (ICSPR) follows with deep concern and condemnation the incident in which members of the security and police forces attacked the demonstrators and participants in the “Lift the sanctions on Gaza” peaceful march, to demand the PNA to stop the punitive measures against Gaza Strip. Several videos show the use of tear gas, batons and electric sticks against the demonstrators, resulted in a number of injuries among them and forcibly dispersing them.
It should be noted that the security forces assault of the demonstrators came in a planned manner, especially in view of the intensive deployment of police officers before the demonstration, as well as the announcement issued yesterday by the Presidential Advisor for Provincial Affairs, which prohibits the peaceful demonstrations during holidays, under the pretext of facilitating the life of citizens.
ICSPR affirms that the security forces’ aggression on the demonstrators constitutes a serious violation and a crime of human rights on peaceful demonstration and expression of opinion, and declares its absolute solidarity with the “lift the sanctions on Gaza” peaceful march and that it will begin to address the relevant international bodies to expose the Authority violations of its international obligations towards the right to demonstrate and peaceful assembly, and it considers that the police aggression on demonstrators reveal the unwillingness of the Palestinian presidency and government to lift the sanctions imposed on Gaza Strip and that they are not interested in the disastrous consequences of inhumane caused by these measures and the Israeli siege. Therefore it demands the following:
- ICSPR affirms that the right to peaceful assembly of citizens is constitutionally guaranteed in accordance with the provisions of paragraph 26 – Article 5 of the Palestinian Basic Law and the Public Meetings Law No. 12 of 1998.
- ICSPR demands the government agencies to take the necessary measures that would stop these violations and respect the public freedoms of citizens guaranteed constitutionally and in accordance with international standards of human rights.
- ICSPR demands the public prosecution to investigate the crimes of police assault on demonstrators in the city of Ramallah, including aggression on citizens and to hold the responsible officials accountable.
- ICSPR declares its position on the unconstitutionality and legality of collective punishment against Gaza Strip, which is a clear violation of Palestinian laws, and constitutes crimes that require accountability as stipulated in the Palestinian law and international covenants.
- ICSPR calls for the end of the internal division and to strengthen the national unity based on national partnership, in order to promote the process of democratic transformation and safeguarding the rights of citizens.